Sunday 5 August 2012

The Olympics.

I have been savouring the Olympics, i.e., I have been obsessively watching athletes performing at insane levels of perfection in a variety of sports. I had never had the opportunity to do so before - both in 2004 and in 2008 I was on holidays and, as far as I remember, did not have easy access to TV/internet. The ones I have followed most closely are swimming, athletics, and gymnastics; also cycling, diving, and judo (for some reason, Portuguese TV showed ALL of the judo, and, though it's not one of my favourite sports, I am now an expert on its rules).

It all started with the dazzling opening ceremony, directed by Danny Boyle (in my opinion, one of the most distinctive, diverse and interesting contemporary film directors). It was boldly British, telling their history - from natural idyll to industrial power to cultural centre - in bold, joyful strokes, and including a wide variety of cultural motifs. This very spirited attempt to blueprint Britain resulted in grand entertainment with a heart and a message. The fast succession of beautiful settings and choreographies, the accessible humour, the ability to join multiculturalism and pride in a great historical inheritance made the opening ceremony exhilarating.

In particular, I loved the tribute to the National Health System - now that it is under violent attack, an eloquent reminder that it is possibly the best idea of the 20th century is well necessary - and to literature - much like sport, making us dream and think and go further. 

Later that same night, I loved seeing the smiling athletes from all over the world proudly carrying their flags. This moment of the ceremony, which could be seen as dull, points to the beauty of the Olympics, perhaps the one event in which we get to see the diversity of people in the world and the feelings of joy, pride and achievement that all of us feel. The happiness shared by all - they are, after all, in their prime, and they have achieved greatness just by being there - makes them look otherworldly beautiful.


What I most love about the Olympics is seeing talented, passionate and hard-working individuals attempting to outdo themselves and, in the process, inspiring countless others - all in a spirit of respectful, healthy competition. Though I root for some countries - Portugal, obviously, also GB, Spain, Brazil - what I really love is having the chance to see athletes do justice to their extraordinary abilities and dedication. 


I know, of course, that there are all sorts of cynical contradictions going on in the backstage of the Olympics, but right now I just want to enjoy the ride and be inspired by these amazing athletes. Being able to share this excitement with so many other people makes me feel connected - makes me feel more human. I hope that, one day, I will be able to channel my energy in such a directed way, and achieve a measure of their beauty.


No comments:

Post a Comment